7th Session - Module 1

Discussion in Integration of the SDG into national planning Start by SDG Helpdesk Team | 4 months ago

SDG Helpdesk Team
Administrator
Administrator
UN ESCAP
Thailand
#1 | 4 months ago
Hello all! Welcome to the 7th facilitated session of the e-learning course on Integration of SDGs into the National Planning. The session officially started on 17 June 2019 and will be open for facilitated discussions until 26 July 2019. For each Module, a discussion question will be posted. Over the next six weeks we hope to have a lively and engaging discussion about and around the topics of the course.

We encourage you to actively engage in the forum. You can also take this opportunity to ask any questions or clarifications on the areas covered by the three modules of the course. For additional collaboration opportunities, we also have the SDG Help Desk Community of Practice [ https://sdg-help-desk-community-of-practice.mn.co/ ].
SDG Helpdesk Team
Administrator
Administrator
UN ESCAP
Thailand
#2 | 24/06/2019 10:27:08
How have you personally been affected by trade-offs in your own life, personal or professional, through an SDG-related experience? Which type of capital(s) were involved and what kind of gap(s) developed? At what level do these trade-offs occur? Describe the greater context of your experience and provide your second-hand insights to the experiences of others.
Stephen Omondi
Volunteeer
PICUM
Kenya
#3 | 22/07/2019 14:29:42
I have indeed been affected both positively and negatively by trade-offs in multi-facet aspects of my life through various SDG-related experience. The types of capitals involved were varying but the major one was the human capital and the gaps that existed ranged from time, information, governance and policy. Trades-offs do occur from various levels ranging from local to globally in regards to the policy makers and stakeholders involved.
Stephen Omondi
Volunteeer
PICUM
Kenya
#4 | 22/07/2019 14:31:28

My second-hand insight to the experience is the need to first establish a strong built-in attitudinal shifts which has a positive impact on the behaviour change
Describing to a greater context my experience was when the government of Kenya wanted to ban the use of plastic bags nation-wide because of the harm it was bringing to the environment especially the rivers in the country which were being literally choked by used plastic bags. There was big trade-off between the people, business stakeholders and the government due to time, information and policy gaps. Ultimately, the ban on plastic bags came to fruition because the government had a well monitoring and evaluation policy which show the agenda through after engaging with the stakeholders and educating the mass on the need to ban the bags.
GARY MARTIN OSORIO SOTO
VOLUNTEER
PNUD
Peru
#5 | 12/10/2019 16:32:40
Fomentar el desarrollo en un enfoque holistico integrando los ODS, dentro de una politica transversal, promoviendo el dialogo de "abajo hacia arriba" a fin de incluir todos los involucrados.
Joseph Mughogho
Consultant in Sustainable Management
Centre for Development Studies
Malawi
#6 | 31/10/2019 12:24:20
The trade-off will always be there in personal and professional life. In terms of SDGs, there must be efforts by both the government and the citizenry. My second-hand insight is we need to have policies which should be able to talk to each other. The Government of Malawi has a policy which forbids anyone to cultivate along the riverbank and yet the same government is promoting greenbelt whose main target is the same riverbank. At the end of the day, there is a need to have the tradeoff between the human capital and the social capital which creates a knowledge gap amongst the policymakers.

Post new reply